Author Topic: Formation of Ca II lines  (Read 44 times)

EliasRU

Formation of Ca II lines
« on: 18. February 2021, 09:06:03 »
Hi
Can someone verify these results from the CaII exercises? These are my plots for the departure coefficient for the ground state and where the line forms (the height at which \( \tau = 1 \).

I think Jonas got the same results as me. Also is it correct to denote the departure coefficient for level \( i \) as \( b_i \) ?

Elias

EliasRU

Re: Formation of Ca II lines
« Reply #1 on: 18. February 2021, 09:09:40 »
Follow-up question: From the departure coefficient plot, i deduced that LTE is valid deep down in the atmosphere, while higher up in the atmosphere (around height \( =1\,\textrm{Mm} \) or \( \tau = 10^{-5} \) ) LTE breaks down

souvikb

« Reply #2 on: 25. February 2021, 21:41:40 »
Hi, Your departure coefficients look right. And so does your interpretation about the departure from LTE.
Just for the sake of completeness, I am attaching an additional plot with the departure coefficients for all the levels of Ca.

souvikb

« Reply #3 on: 25. February 2021, 21:44:59 »
Nice work!
You can also play with the Source function if you'd like. I personally do not like the widgets but you are free to use them. But I would urge you to play with it by importing it from output_ray.hdf5

souvikb

« Reply #4 on: 25. February 2021, 21:52:06 »
Can you also show me the plot of Ca II K intensity vs. wavelength?

Did you activate PRD while synthesizing Ca II H&K? These lines are strong resonance lines and the effects of PRD become very important especially in the K2/H2 peaks. So if you have not activated it, set PRD_N_MAX_ITER = 3 in your keyword.input.